Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Political Tirade

I saw this link on Facebook and decided to post it here as well. Government safety nets (medicaid, food stamps, welfare, etc.) and this health care reform insanity are two areas that I have significant interest in. I pay taxes and I'm married to a doctor. This letter, although I don't know the authenticity or if ever made it to the White House, sums up my thoughts pretty well. Read on:

Dr. Roger Starner Jones' short two-paragraph letter to the White House accurately puts the blame on a "Culture Crisis" instead of a "Health Care Crisis."
It's worth a quick read:

Dear Mr. President:
During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.
While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one pack of cigarettes every day, eats only at fast-food take-outs, and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer. And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care?
I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture" a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.
Respectfully, ROGER STARNER JONES, MD

I try to avoid being judgemental at every turn, but I feel if I am going to be paying for safety nets and their abuse then I reserve the right to judge on how people spend their (my) money and how they approach their own health. Don't get me wrong, I understand their place, purpose and the help that they give many people. It's just my opinion that if you are going to use these services it should be because you truly can't afford another option - not so you can, as the lady in the ER demonstrates, spend your money on luxuries like tattoos or cable TV. When I see people pay for their cart full of soda, chips and candy with food stamps I get a little frustrated. When Drew gets medicaid/care patients who smoke $5/pack cigarettes and then expect me to pay for their neck dissection and tounge removal I get a little frustrated.

Blah. Rant over.

8 comments:

Becky said...

I agree with your rant. It seems to me that people who are getting financial assistance in one way or another eat out more than I do, go to the movies often (I am not a movie person, but if I do go, it's the dollar theatre), and have new cell phones, on demand tv, etc. I try to tell myself that some people just choose to spend their money differently and that's their choice--but it is hard when they are using our hard-earned money to buy their groceries and pay medical bills. Then I just sigh and tell myself again that we are blessed because we have enough and to spare--but sheesh, I'd like to eat out more often and upgrade my cell phone; but I'd also like to pay rent and build up some savings, so I do that instead.
The end.

Stephanie said...

Very well put. Best quote: "...if you are going to use these services it should be because you truely can't afford another option." I wish government handouts weren't given out so easily. It's sad what the world is coming to. I think I'm going to buy a houseboat and live in the middle of the ocean.

Julia Kelly said...

AMEN sista!

killacal1982 said...

Too bad the letter is embellished and was never written to the President. It is also well over a year old.

http://wtfiswrong.com/2010/09/facebook-viral-dr-roger-starner-jones/

The Terrell Family said...

I stated I couldn't verify the authenticity of the letter. It still doesn't change the current state of things.

Brian said...

smokes: 5.00 x 30 = 150.00
soda: maybe 30.00 a month
fast food: net expense 0, as it costs a similar amount as healthier choices.
beer: Maybe another 50.00 per month.

None of this adds up to the 500.00 per month that it costs for quality health care these days. I say this because right now my company pays 380.00 and I pay 140.00 monthly for my insurance. If you don't want your tax money going to right this wrong, where do you expect reform to come from, the insurance industry? I don't think so...

The Terrell Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Terrell Family said...

Neck dissection and/or tongue removal = $45,000. That's not including hospital stay or other necessary treatments. That's not how I want my tax money spent.