Monday, July 21, 2008

The Unfortunate Part of Life


Life is short if looked at on the eternal time frame. There is never enough time, especially if we don't make it. There are endless conversations I would have enjoyed to have with my grandfather, but sadly I didn't have time. There were planty of opportunities, but I didn't take them. I would have loved to find out more about his life growing up on the farm, his WWII experiences, how he fell in love with my grandma, what it was like to raise six girls and two boys in a three bedroom, 1 1/2 bath house, how did he get to be so smart and kind, and so on.

He passed away this Sunday, interestingly enough he was preparing to leave this world as I was giving a YW lesson on temples and preparing to gain exaltation and entering the presence of the Lord. He had been in a nursing home for a year. He was no longer physically or mentally able to carry on my wishlist of conversations. He was, however, able to recognize the love and joy of his great-grandchildren and he smiled anytime they visited. He was an absolutely amazing man who lived an extraordinary life.

As happy as I am that my grandpa now has the physical freedom that he has longed for, I am of course selfishly sad for those of us who are left. I am grateful to know that he will no longer be hinderd by a broken body. I am just so grateful for the knowledge that I have of the Plan of Happiness that will allow us to return to Heavenly Father and be together as a family. I have no doubt that my family who have not grabbed onto the gospel in this life, will gladly accept it in the next. (Note: If you are reading this and do not know what I am talking about, let me know and we'll chat)

The old cliche rings true. Life is short, take advantage of the time you have with those you love. But know that this is not the end. I am so grateful to know that my grandpa and I will have all of eternity to have my so desired conversations.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

True Words of Wisdom! I lost all my grandparents by the time I was 18. BEFORE, I was wise enough to take the time with them I should have! I sure wish I lived closer to my children's grandparents. But, you've got me thinking of some new ways to keep in touch. Thanks for the inspiration, and truly sorry for your loss. I'm thinking of you!

buffyvandabailey said...

Yesterday our R.S. lesson was on grief and death. I've been thinking a lot about it this weekend. One point that kept repeating itself in my mind is how comforting it can be to think of all our loved ones on the other side waiting for us to finish our work on earth and then come join them. It's great motivation. I love posts like yours because they emphasize how this all fits into the plan of salvation. Thanks for the fantastic reminder. I'll be keeping your family in my prayers.