Friday, October 24, 2008

The whys of the world

Why do we do the things we do? I mean, why would I watch a movie that within ten minutes had me bawling. It didn't stop there, it was constant. I even cried at the happy stuff - because it was still sad.

I watched P.S. I Love You. I knew it would be sad. Duh. But I did it to myself anyway.

Why do we listen to songs that make us cry when we're already sad? Maybe you don't, but I know I had a few ballads that I would go to everytime a high school romance went south.

And why do I watch chick flicks that remind me that life is not a fairy tale? It just makes me upset at Drew and he has no idea why. He has no idea that I hold him to silver screen standards. Poor guy.

I am very grateful, however, that he doesn't hold me to Catherine Zeta-Jones standards. I just couldn't deal. I would probably go back to some of my reserved ballads.

2 comments:

shelly said...

Oh my goodness--I hear you Alicia!

Have you heard of this blog: www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com?

The word "dialogues" may or may not be plural, but try it. It's the mother that had an uplifting and popular mom blog and then she and her husband got into a plane accident. Maybe you already knew about it, but I found it today and have been reading a lot. Anyway, before the crash, she paints a very fairy tale life, but the intent is not to annoy, rather to remind us of the positives of being a wife and mother. It's touching. And seriously, I'm reminding myself to not compare my family to hers =)

buffyvandabailey said...

You are hilarious. I'm trying to think of my standard ballads from my earlier years. Most were Alanis Morissette. Ha!

Speaking of holding you to Catherine Zeta-Jones standards, there was a two part series on PBS Masterpiece Mystery! last month and the main reminded both me and Allan of you.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/ruby/index.html