Thursday, February 5, 2009

Influences

I was reading Ecclesiastes 3 last night and the tune to the popular song came into my head. I could not help, as hard as I tried, reading the passage without humming. I started laughing then. Great. I don't feel like I was committing some heinous sin, but I was just amazed at how little control I had over my thoughts. It was a gentle reminder how easily culture and media can be internalized.

Speaking of internalizing media - whenever I read a book, especially a period book, I begin to talk and think in the dialect or style the book is written. For example, I'm reading a book about the deep south in the early 1900's. If I'm reading and the phone rings, I have to remind myself to answer the phone in a normal voice instead and not use the southern accent I'm sure I've perfected, in my own head. And I have to keep supressing my urge to use the words, "I reckon" and "yes'm." I'm pretty sure Drew was ready for me to finish my Jack Kerouac phase so I would stop talking like a beat poet or the European books that bring out my finest English accent.

2 comments:

Colorado Oldroyds said...

I love your acrobats, that's hilarious. I know what you mean about the accents. I had to talk to a lady in North Carolina the other day and still have to stop myself from acting as if I'm also from the "Carolinas" and calling people "honey."

shelly said...

That sounds like something I would do. I think we have the same couch. And lastly, I LOVE the chocolate face pics of Lucas!