Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Miracle of Saline

Saline has been around forever.
It truly is a miracle. Many beautiful places carry the name.
It allows some people to swim without the fear of drowning.
Many people breathe easier after a shot of this wonderful solution up their nose. It is used in hospitals to keep hearts pumping and people alive (so they can pay their bills).
Most importantly, it is what helped Lucas go from this:To this:

Lucas was admitted to the hospital last week after catching rotovirus (a nasty stomach virus I wouldn't wish on anyone). We found him sleeping in his laundry basket when he first got sick. It progressed to constant vomiting and diarrhea, which eventually led to a little boy who couldn't even sit up on his own. We took him into the ED where they started him on a saline drip to treat his severe dehydration. It took almost eight rounds and the threat of a catheder before he finally started doing what he was supposed to (peeing). As you can see from the last picture he is all better and making up for lost time.

I'm so grateful for our access to healthcare in this country. People complain about the high costs and long waits and everything else associated with the industry, but when it comes down to it we are so blessed to have the technology and facilities we do. Drew was saying that rotovirus is a top killer of children in third world countries because it often leads to dehydration and they don't have access to the simple treatment of saline.

I also want to give a huge THANK YOU to all the support and help we got from friends and family.

10 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm sorry for your rough week. I've heard that rotavirus is a nasty bug. Our dr. office vaccinates all infants against it. Had Lucas been vaccinated?

Courtnie said...

Like I have said before, I am so glad he is on the mend and I am sorry! When our kids get sick it sure makes us appreciate their crazy selfs when they are better, doesn't it?

By the way, I would be happy to do pix for you, but don't expect much. I have only done family and Priscilla's little ones. I don't have much experience outside of that zone! :)

Pamela said...

I'm glad that Lucas is feeling better. Andrew had rotovirus before, and it is AWFUL! Also, I wish that I could swim without the fear of drowning...LOL. You're too funny!

shelly said...

Woah, that's scary and I'm glad all is better. Your background is so cute =)

buffyvandabailey said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry. I love modern health care. Seriously. And that picture of Lucas sleeping in the laundry basket? Precious...even if it was indicative of what was to come.

ckw said...

Wow- I'm SO sorry that happened to him. How scary! I too am SO grateful for healthcare, technology and the AVAILABILITY of it all. Glad he's on the mend.

The Whites said...

I've been wondering what you are up to...sorry to hear what it is that you've had to deal with. Let me know if you need anything!

Julia Kelly said...

Glad Lucas is back to his cute, crazy self. And yes, modern health care has saved Loraya's life more then once....so i'm pretty thankful for it as well!

Adri said...

MJ has had rotovirus twice so I totally feel your pain. It is scary! I always think it's so amazing what a little hydration will do for a sick kiddo. It's a total 180. Glad he's better!

Wendy said...

I just need to say your blog makes me smile!