Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Reconnection Accomplished

This month started out with a huge treat to myself with the encouragement of Drew and his paycheck. He had a paper to present in Sunny San Diego and this summer he invited me to come with him. I didn't give him a lot of choice in the matter. San Diego is my little heaven on earth and this was my 6th visit in 9 years. Thanks to Drew's very gracious mother who stayed with the kids for four days, this trip was amazing. My main goal - Reconnect. With Drew, with friends, with family and probably most importantly - myself.
Travel log alert! And my camera broke, so links will have to do.
Just flying alone was a huge treat. I looked at other mothers lugging car seats and strollers and toddlers with understanding and was so glad that for once I could be sympathetic instead of desparate. Once in San Diego I was able to spend a lot of time ALONE wandering the city, trying different restaurants and lounging in our gorgeous hotel. I used to be very brave and very independent and I was able to reconnect with that part of me a little. I toured the USS Midway just for fun and all alone, taking time to soak up the history rather than worrying about soaking diapers. A little ocean front time was also nice.
Drew and I did get plenty of time for ourselves. A couple of dinners out and a trip to the San Diego Temple really gave us a chance to spend quality time talking and just being together.
I also demonstrated my independence and bravery by making a solo trip up to Santa Monica to visit a Gorgeous Museum, The Getty, with one of my favorite friends in this whole huge world. She met me down in LA with her little boy and we had a fabulous afternoon talking and watching him be ridiculously well behaved. My friend mentioned driving in LA is kind of like a rite of passage. It is scary, but once you do it you feel like you've accomplished something. She was definitely right on both accounts.
After my afternoon at the museum I headed down to Newport to visit my aunt, who I love but rarely get to see. We had a blast. If you ever need a tattoo and are down that way, check her out!
Anyway, long story not so short. We had a great - much needed - vacation from reality. If it weren't for that pesky bank account we'd be game for another one soon!

5 comments:

buffyvandabailey said...

I'm so glad your trip was a success on all accounts. I'm determined to see you more often. We have to make sure we see each other again before Jack and Elena's wedding!

Jenn said...

Darn it! We are only a little over an hour from San Diego! I would have loved to come down & hang out with you during some of your "alone" time! Next time, give us a call! We miss you guys & would love to see you even if it's only for an hour or two!

The Terrell Family said...

I'm sorry Jenn!! I'm sure (if I have anything to do about it) we will be out there again!!

shelly said...

The Getty was in my mission and we got to go a couple times. It is beautiful! I'm happy for you and your hubby to have a nice trip!!

McArthur Family said...

I'm so happy you and Drew were able to have a little getaway! That is sooooooooo important!