Friday, June 13, 2008

Picture this...

Me running. It's been awhile.
So, I have set a little goal for myself. I want to get in shape. I'm not aiming for swimsuit model or anything like that. I would just prefer it if I didn't jiggle when I walk. I love my body and realize that I need to take better care of it. I've taken the last couple years a bit too easy and now it's time to get into gear. So that's what I did today. I went running (running being relative). This is something that I used to do religiously when I was much younger and I loved it. The amazing thing was that I realized I still love it. I love it for so many reasons.
* I think it is fun.
* When you run you realize that you can always push your body to the next level-and there's always another level. The body is an amazing reserve of potential. Today I pushed myself out the door. Level One.
* Running is peaceful. I love the methodical rythm of my feet on the pavement (sometimes the beat is a little slow and it may get drowned out by my gasps for air).
* It is all about setting attainable goals (four more houses, ugh) that you keep working at to get to your major goal.

So anyway, I think I'm writing this more as a motivator for myself than anything. As I flail down the sidewalk like Phoebe (for any of you Friends fans out there) I need to remember that it's about having fun and taking care of myself. Plus, I am definitely grateful that I've rediscovered this hobby in North Dakota where it is as flat as a board rather than in West Virginia. Check back in with me when I return to the land of absent sidewalks, winding and narrow roads and ridiculous hills. I'll figure something out =)

3 comments:

buffyvandabailey said...

I discovered a few weeks ago when I forgot to charge my iPod that I actually prefer running without music, which is something I would have never tried voluntarily. But I get so much thinking done! It feels more like "me" time and less like something that I have to do.

The Terrell Family said...

Exactly!

Julia Kelly said...

we can go running on the rail trails...sometime that both our husbands are at home. I'm not really sure if that will ever work out, but it's fun running with someone. Good for you for running again. I ran today, but its just so humid...i know it will only get worse.

Anyways, I love running too. (or should i say jogging :)