Monday, December 8, 2008

To roll or not to roll!

Cookie making is upon us. Sugar cookies, no brainer - you have to roll them out. Snickerdoodles - again a no brainer. You roll them into balls. The dilema arises when you get to the drop cookie category. I'm a roller. I'm an obsessed, controlling roller. Drew is banned from helping because he couldn't care if his cookie dough balls are the same size or perfectly spherical. The recipes tell me to just drop rounded tablespoonfulls onto a cookie sheet. I can't do that. Drew doesn't understand why not. I get it from my mom, and her whole family. All rollers.

Well, Saturday I decided out of time constraints to drop my cookies onto the sheet. Much to my satisfaction, Elena informed me: "Mom, you have to roll them into balls. They have to be this big and round." I've created a cookie monster, but at least I can trust one of my family members to help me.

5 comments:

Mrs Ana said...

All I can say is that is too funny! You got her trained well!

Lucy said...

I have a solution for you. You ready for it? ready??

Pampered Chef sells these scooper things, that are like melon ballers, but perfect for "drop" cookies. Super Quick, All cookies the same size, and in fact, look like balls!

Put it on your Christmas List!

LNJ said...

You should try the "Heath break n' bake method" It's where you buy pre-formed frozen dough in bulk, and break them apart and bake them. My parents are pros! lol

Lindy said...

It sounds like you need to invest in a cookie scoop...the blessed invention for even, round cookies (no rolling required)! It will take you half the time (even quicker than dropping the cookies from a spoon). BTW, I recommend metal instead of plastic...

The Terrell Family said...

I might even be too anal for the scoop. I could picture myself scooping and then rolling. It sounds worth a try though!